Saturday, September 29, 2007

On My Way

I left this morning, shortly after 10 a.m., about an hour after I had intended to. Arrived in La Grande a little before 3, and checked into my motel, unpacked, unwound just a tiny little bit before heading off to Eastern Oregon University's Pierce Library, to look up some obituaries on microfilm for some of my Union County Oregon relatives. The one I really wanted was for my gg grandmother, Nancy Elizabeth (Davey) Belden, who died in 1889 (not looking up exact date buy I have it) according to the LDS Ancestral File. I know it was a lot to hope for, because these very early obituaries usually contain very little family information, but you never know when you'll get lucky. Looks like I won't get lucky here, because it appears there are no newspapers available which includes the date she supposedly died. I was hoping for (and I know it was a longshot anyway) mention of her parents or at least where she was born. She was married to my gg grandfather in Cayuga Co. NY in the late 1840's, and appears there with husband and a couple kids in the 1850 census. Unfortunately, there are no other Davey's in the census index. Was she dropped off from another planet? I suppose I could get ambitious and read through each township line by line on the 1850, because indexes can be wrong. I just haven't gotten that ambitious yet, but I can see it might come to that some day. Of course there is no guarantee her family was still in the area anyway.

I might add that it took me a long time to get to this library. The camus maps left a little to be desired, and it seems I drove around and around forever with no luck. I ended up at the house I grew up in (we left La Grande when I was 7), but we had already been there a few times over the past few years so it wasn't any big discovery to me. I did ask for directions from a couple of neighbors, but by the time I got back on the road, I had forgotten half of what they told me. I did eventually stumble upon it.

I spent a couple of hours looking at newspapers. Those early newspapers don't usually have obituaries in a neat little section like they do nowadays. So it's read through every page. The first one I found was for Ora Lindsay, who was the adopted daughter of my great grandmother's sister. She died in 1913 at the age of 23. The obit mentioned her husband, but not by name. I assume there were no children, but who knows. I have on my list an obituary for a Laura Lindsay, who died in 1912. Could she have been a daughter of Ora & John Lindsay? Hope to find out on my return trip.

Next I checked for one David Greiner, who was the grandfather-in-law of the lady in Oklahoma who sent me a CD full of pictures of my family in the La Grande area. Her mother-in-law had them, she had no idea why, or if there is any connection between our families. But it was a case in point for posting your families everywhere you can, on message boards, mailing lists, etc. She found me, spend who-knows how many days scanning these pictures, burning them on a CD and sending them to me. One family mystery was semi-cleared up, but a couple more have been introduced.

The last one I found was for my great grandmother's sister, Permelia Elvira Belden Smith, adoptive mother to Ora Smith Lindsay. The obit didn't get mention her name and didn't even get her husband's initial's right. It read "F.M. Smith." Should have been "S.N. Smith." At least it mentioned her surviving sisters and brothers and son, so I know I had the right person in spite of the butchered name/initials. I looked for one for Ora Smith Lindsay's birth mother, who I knew as Rose Anna Hammack McDonald. Thanks to the CD full of pictures and letters, we know who the birth parents were. Ora (her brother is Frank) father died in 1902 in a train accident in North Powder. Was this why these children were given to the Smith's to raise?

But it's late, I am heading to bed in a few minutes. The rest of the trip to Salt Lake will be completed tomorrow. Another report hopefully on Monday.

No comments: